- Makes: 10
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
175g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp smoked paprika pepper (optional)
Oil or unsalted butter for frying and greasing.
1 large egg
125g grated cheese (mature chedder works well)
70g baby spinach leaves, ripped
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Heat oil or butter in a frying pan add the onion and fry until the onion softens, remove the onion from the pan and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and smoked paprika into a bowl, make a well in the centre.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and add the milk, whisk them together, add the mixture to the flour and fold together.
- Add the cheese, fried onion and spinach and fold gently until evenly mixed.
- Line a muffin tray with muffin cases, spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown and springy, remove from the oven and allow to cool.